Friday 3 January 2014

You Are One of My Most Complex Patients

'You are one of my most complex patients' is not something you want to hear from an OB, especially a high risk OB. I'm very grateful my doctor sent me to a high risk OB. It was a long wait to be seen but worth it to know I'm going to have good care. The OB discussed the bleeding that I've been having and notes that the NT ultrasound also found another blood pocket. She also mentioned that the scan picked up blood in the placenta (or maybe around the placenta) but when she used her bedside machine it didn't pick it up but she did say the placenta looked healthy. She mentioned that the bleeding could cause preterm labour and may cause the baby to be small so they will start growth scans regularly sooner than normal.
She also talked about the fact that I have Thalassemia and she's going to send me for further testing to see what type it is because it can also can some issues with the pregnancy. The biggest issue it is causing me right now is a low red blood count.
Finally, we discussed my previous surgeries. She told me that if I wanted to have an elective c-section she would be completely okay with that. She said I may have to have a c-section regardless because pushing out a baby could cause a lot of damage to what's been fixed. She's going to talk to my surgeon and see what she would recommend. She also told me that if I have a c-section, it's going to take a lot longer than normal and that she will have a general surgeon present as well. Because of this she said of I delivered vaginally, it wouldn't be ideal if I needed an emergency c-section.

So that gives me a lot to think about. I'm praying a lot about it and I know God will give me the answer. I'm also continuously praying that God will keep this baby safe and we will be blessed with a healthy baby at the end of this pregnancy. I can feel God with this baby and I all the time. Especially when I'm bleeding. It's as if God is telling me to just relax and that He has everything under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment